The single most important one is to consolidate multiple computing applications from several under utilized servers onto a single, right-sized server. The same amount of work can be done, but substantial amounts of energy and money can be saved through this process known as virtualization. A single virtualized server, even heavily loaded, uses far less energy than multiple, lightly loaded servers. In fact, the savings can be a whopping 50 percent or more. And savings don’t end there: virtualized server rooms also save big in hardware, software and maintenance costs, and improve availability and performance!
The 2,3-year utility savings from an energy-efficient server environment can nearly equal the cost of the server itself!
IT equipment is usually very lightly used relative to its capacity. Servers tend to be only 5- to 15-percent utilized, PCs are 10- to 20-percent utilized, direct-attached storage devices are 20- to 40-percent utilized, and network storage is 60- to 80-percent utilized.
When any of these devices becomes idle, the equipment still consumes a significant portion of the power it would draw at maximum utilization. A typical x86 server consumes 30 to 40 percent of maximum power even when it’s producing no work at all.
With virtualization, you can aggregate servers and storage onto a shared platform while maintaining strict segregation among operating systems, applications, data, and users. Most applications can run on separate “virtual machines” that, behind the scenes, are actually sharing the hardware with other applications. Virtualization dramatically improves hardware utilization and enables you to reduce the number of power-consuming servers and storage devices.
One of our customers virtualized 7 old servers and started saving monthly around 300e without losing funcionality, all server aplications works the same fast or even faster! No downtime and no office disruptions, planned properly is straigt forward and office friendly.
VARIOUS VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES:
CloudCare AVG – antivirus and content filtering
Keep your employees focused on work, not the internet:
- Block or allow specific Web sites or categories
- Over 70 million sites categorized
- Restrict Internet access during specific times
- Safe searches to avoid objectionable content
- Monitor visited sites
AVG CloudCare™ is a powerful remote management platform that profoundly simplifies the way you service and protect your small business customers. Simply log into the AVG CloudCare™ portal from any computer’s web browser for a real-time look into all computers on your customer’s network. Instantly activate or deactivate any customer or service, roll out policies, install software, and more.
- Free centralized platform
- Real-time visibility into customers’ PCs, services, and policies.
- Free remote management tools
- Instantly connect to any PC to resolve issues, install services, and more.
- Pay-as-you-go services
- Add-on services are available in monthly, yearly, or 2-year subscriptions.
- No upfront costs
- No new hardware or third-party software is required.
SpamTitan Cloud is a cloud based email filtering solution allowing you to protect your users and business email from Spam, Viruses and other Malware. Requiring no on premises software or end user client software, set up is extraordinarily simple and quick. Just send us the domains you want scanned and the IP address of your mail server and we will set you up, after that redirect your MX records to our servers and you are up and running. You can log onto your own SpamTitan Cloud interface and create reports, adjust policies and much more.
SpamTitan Cloud Technical Specifications:
- Multilayered anti spam analysis giving 99.97% Spam Detection, including Sender Policy Framework, SURBL’s, RBL’s Bayesian analysis and more.
- Double antivirus protection, Kaspersky Lab and Clam AV engines at NO additional cost.
- Content Control to block unwanted email traffic coming to your organisation.
- End User Quarantine Reports
- No maintenance overhead.
- Web interface that allows controlled access from any network and removes the need for client based management software.
- LDAP, Dynamic and aliases file recipient verification
- SASL authentication
- Advanced and easy-to-manage reports
Cloud Exchange Online:
Exchange Online provides advanced security and reliability to help protect your information.
Maintain the latest defences against malware and spam with a service that handles hundreds of millions of messages around the world every day and is updated to address new malware and spam threats quickly.
Data Loss Prevention (DLP) capabilities prevent users from mistakenly sending sensitive information to unauthorized people, while informing them of internal compliance policies.
Safeguard your data by hosting it in geographically distributed data centers, with continuous data backup, premier disaster recovery capabilities, and a team of security experts monitoring Exchange Online around the clock.
Deliver reliability, availability, and performance with a guaranteed 99.9% uptime, financially-backed service level agreement.
- Work smarter, anywhere, with hosted email for business
- Get business email, calendar, and contacts on your PC, phone, and web browser.
- Run email on Microsoft globally redundant servers.
- Stay protected by anti-malware and anti-spam filters and supported by 24/7, IT-level phone support.
Private cloud – VMware Virtualization
Private cloud is the phrase used to describe a cloud computing platform that is implemented within the corporate firewall, under the control of the IT department.
A private cloud is designed to offer the same features and benefits of public cloud systems, but removes a number of objections to the cloud computing model including control over enterprise and customer data, worries about security, and issues connected to regulatory compliance.
Private Cloud Security
A private cloud implementation aims to avoid many of the objections regarding cloud computing security. Because a private cloud setup is implemented safely within the corporate firewall, a private cloud provides more control over the company’s data, and it ensures security.
The architecture of today’s x86 servers allows them to run only one operating system at a time. Server virtualization unlocks the traditional one-to-one architecture of x86 servers by abstracting the operating system and applications from the physical hardware, enabling a more cost-efficient, agile and simplified server environment. Using server virtualization, multiple operating systems can run on a single physical server as virtual machines, each with access to the underlying server’s computing resources.
Server virtualization unleashes the potential of today’s powerful x86 servers. Most servers operate less than 15 percent of capacity; not only is this highly inefficient, it also introduces server sprawl and complexity.
VMware vSphere offers a complete server virtualization platform that delivers:
- 80 percent greater utilization of server resources
- Up to 50 percent savings in capital and operating costs
Cloud Storage Skydrive, Soonr, Google and more
File hosting service that allows users to upload and sync files to a cloud storage and then access them from a Web browser or their local device.
You can create, view and edit Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote documents within the Web browser. In addition, Office Web Apps on SkyDrive also allow multiple users to simultaneously co-author Excel directly within the web browser, and co-author OneNote documents with another web user or the desktop application. Users can also view the version history of Office documents stored on SkyDrive.
Office in Cloud:
- Office 365 can offer your organization:
- Virtually work from anywhere using the Office applications you trust across your favorite devices—PCs, Macs, and select mobile devices.
- Email access and calendars on the go
- Sync with enterprise-grade email and shared calendars
- Conferencing made easy
- Connection with multi-party HD video conferencing, real-time note taking, and screen sharing.
- Productivity without missed meetings. Access, edit, and view Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents on PCs, iPhones, Android phones, and Windows Phones.
- Security and privacy. Your data is yours. Microsoft does not scan emails or documents for advertising purposes. It is a leader in industry privacy, transparency, security, and compliance.
Traditionally a server would be physically placed and require a lot of electrical fail safes to ensure it stayed running. Physical maintenance and servicing added to the running costs of traditional servers. With a cloud virtual server you have a much more availability. You are in complete control an require only a network connection to administer your server. Backing up, restoring, rebooting complete in seconds with a click. You can even save your configured server as a new template for use again. Virtual disks and cpu’s don’t fail and you can add or remove components with ease using our cloud control panel.
Blacknight’s cloud offering run on Dell Blade servers and ensure a green energy footprint. Each blade server comes fully loaded with 128GB of Low Voltage dimms, 4 x 8 Core AMD Processors. We are utilising the latest in Fluid Data from Dell Compellent for the SAN giving us 80Gbit/s of SAN connectivity back to the Blade network. Each Server has 20Gbit/s of backbone connectivity to the storage network giving us unparallelled performance compared to others in the market still using 1Gbit/s iSCSI and 4/8Gbit/s Fibre Channel.